- arteriosclerosis, a disease affecting the arteries
- convulsions, fits or seizures
- decreased blood supply to the brain
- diabetes, a disorder of metabolism in which the amount of sugar in the blood is too high
- feeling lethargic, indifferent, lost or remote
- glaucoma, a condition in which there is usually a build-up of pressure in the eye
- heart and blood vessel problems
- kidney problems
- liver problems
- low potassium and/or low magnesium levels in the blood
- organic brain syndrome
- parkinsonism, a disease of the brain affecting movement
- risk factors for stroke
- tardive dyskinesia, a reaction to some medicines with worm-like movements of the tongue, or other uncontrolled movements of the mouth, tongue, cheeks or jaw which may progress to the arms and legs.
- treatment for cancer
- if you or someone else in your family has a history of blood clots, as medicines like these have been associated with formation of blood clots
Other permanent side effects are similar to many other typical antipsychotics, namely extrapyramidal symptoms as a result of dopamine blockade in subcortical areas of the brain. This may result in symptoms similar to those seen in Parkinson's disease and include a restlessness and inability to sit still known as akathisia , a slow tremor and stiffness of the limbs.  Zuclopenthixol is thought to be more sedating than the related flupentixol , though possibly less likely to induce extrapyramidal symptoms than other typical depots.  As with other dopamine antagonists, zuclopenthixol may sometimes elevate prolactin levels; this may occasionally result in amenorrhoea or galactorrhoea in severe cases. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a rare but potentially fatal side effect. Any unexpected deterioration in mental state with confusion and muscle stiffness should be seen by a physician.
Fluphenazine came into use in 1959.  The injectable form is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines , the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system .  It is available as a generic medication .  In the United States the tablets costs between and USD per day for a typical dose.  The wholesale cost in the developing world of the long acting form is between and USD per injection as of 2014.  It was discontinued in Australia around mid 2017.